ClutterBlog

My Simple Life...


google
InterWeb ClutterBlog

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Passports For All My Friends

I live in Nova Scotia and I have, in the past, used the U.S. as a short cut to and from Ontario. It looks like I will be going through Quebec the next time I make the trip by car. According to the CBC, The U.S. State Department announced that by 2007, most Canadians will need a passport to enter the United States, and Canada will probably start asking for the same thing since the system "has really always worked on the basis of reciprocity." This could be disastrous for both sides since vast numbers of people simply do not have passports and, I'm guessing, will not be willing to get them just so that they can pop over the border for a quick shopping trip, a ball game, or a long weekend once in a while. I know I won't just to shave an hour or two off the drive.
In response to a new rule requiring most Canadians to carry passports for entry into the U.S., Public Security Minister Anne McLellan said Americans may also have to carry the document to enter the country.(CBC)

It's too bad I enjoyed driving that way.