ClutterBlog

My Simple Life...


google
InterWeb ClutterBlog

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Diaper Rash

I was a little concerned when I read this article by Sarah Hatten (canadianliving.com)
Cloth diapers contribute to water and air pollution due to the amount of water, energy and detergent used when machine-washing and drying. According to Environment Canada, washing a load or two of diapers each week is like flushing the toilet five times a day for one week. Detergents contain harmful phosphates and nitrates, and the use of washers and dryers results in greenhouse gases.
I use cloth on my baby and feel that the water usage and contaminates to our water are far less harmful to the environment than the waste produced by disposable diaper users and the production of the diapers themselves. I do try to reduce the harmful effects of laundering by saving up diapers for a full load. Don't forget the water used to wash my child's diapers is the same quantity of water that they'll use when flushing the toilet once potty-trained.

Hattens article does go on to offer the downside of disposable but I get the feeling that she is not being objective. Does Procter & Gamble advertise in Canadian Living? Lets be realistic Cloth will always be the most environmental way to go.